As Trump prepares to take office and attempt to lead America down his vision many Muslims have become confused and uncertain about their future. It has become an emotional topic for some, to the point that they partake in lobbying, rallying, and supporting parties that represent Kufr (disbelief). Firstly, we should remember that calling for other than the Law of Allah (SWT) is sinful and this also includes partaking in elections to vote for a candidate that will represent man’s law over Allah’s (SWT) law.
أَفَحُكْمَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ يَبْغُونَ ۚ وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ مِنَ اللَّهِ حُكْمًا لِّقَوْمٍ يُوقِنُونَ
Then is it the judgement of [the time of] ignorance they desire? But who is better than Allah in judgement for a people who are certain [in faith].
However, even after understanding the fundamentals we should be aware of the impact caused by an event that could affect the Ummah. In this case, this article could really apply to both Clinton and Trump as I feel the points mentioned would not have differed by much.
It’s easy as Muslims to simply think about our own selves and neglect the rest of the Ummah, not because we are selfish or spiteful towards the Ummah necessarily but rather because we feel that we are not able to effectuate any change on the global stage to alleviate the Muslims around the world. It is true that individually working in a haphazard way would be futile and impossible to achieve anything. Rather, the Muslims need to realise that change can only happen through an organised entity.
If this was realised and the Muslims understood that the solution can only come from Islam, then naturally the group they bond around would be representing the concepts and criteria of Islam. If the Muslims were bonding around non-Islamic groups in seeking change this is only a sign to show that the Ummah is not ready for Islam and has not grasped it as their only way to salvation.
So what does Trump actually mean for Muslims?
It can mean a number of things, some positive and some negative. If we look on the positive side we can be sure of a few things:
- It will come as a shock to many Muslims that the leader of the most dominant country in the world today is someone that hates Islam and the Muslims. This shock is needed to wake up those that before today were ignoring the attack on Islam as hearsay and fantasy. It has become reality and just as 9/11 was the first shock, 11/9 could be the second shock to wake up the Ummah and turn towards action.
- Trump’s position on foreign policy is inward looking which is in stark contrast to his predecessors. If he sticks to his words then it would mean the end of the American hegemony over the Muslim lands. However, it is unrealistic to think any super power would give up their dominance overnight. Rather he used this rhetoric to gain popularity amongst the war veterans and their families of which there are many, and those disgruntled with the previous administration’s mistakes in the Middle East.
What about the negatives?
- For the Muslims in America, it is now clear that Islamophobia is ripe both in America and Europe. I wrote about this a couple of months ago in which I detailed where the funding is coming from, and the impacts of the Islamophobia network. Even though this may wake up a lot of Muslims in America we should never wish harm upon the Ummah. The far-right movements and media that has helped Trump get so much support will now be given the green light on a corporate level which only gives them more visibility to spew lies, slander and hatred upon Islam, our beloved Prophet (SAW) and the Muslims.
- Muslims will be ostracised in society with their rights taken away from them and their children preyed upon in the name of ‘countering extremism at the roots’
- The physical abuse and attacks will triple-fold as it has in Europe.
We should remember that our trust is in Allah (SWT) to provide for us and safeguard us from all evils. Not from the system created by man’s limited mind.
وَيَرْزُقْهُ مِنْ حَيْثُ لَا يَحْتَسِبُ ۚ وَمَن يَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ فَهُوَ حَسْبُهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بَالِغُ أَمْرِهِ ۚ قَدْ جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدْرًا
“And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah – then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.”
The Muslims in America must realise that the only solution to our problems in life comes from Islam itself. So turn your faces away from the Shaytaan that beckons you to follow him and turn back to Allah (SWT) and his perfect system.